The Expressive Labeling Activity allows students to speak the word that represents the picture on the screen. This activity DOES NOT have voice recognition capability and DOES NOT deliver reinforcement.
The Expressive Labeling activity requires therapist participation. Why? Because the pronunciation range of verbal responses may vary so greatly with students with autism, that they require successive shaping by the instructor. For example, when you first teach the word “Apple,” you may accept just the vocalization “Ah” as a correct response. Then you will gradually shape that response to the word “Apple.” Accordingly, we have opted to give you control over the reinforcement for this activity The program will provide the pictures and the command, you will need to gauge your student’s response and provide positive or negative reinforcement as appropriate. When you are satisfied with your student’s response, provide your reinforcement, then use the arrows at the bottom of the screen to advance to the next target.
Expressive Labeling Word List
This activity does not use DISTRACTOR Cards.
The Expressive Labeling Activity Word List comes with 90 images from the Language Builder Basic Stage Set (6 examples of 15 different words). Additional word packs can be purchased using the Purchase Cards link.
The pictures will be presented in the order they appear in the word list.
- If this is your first time launching the activity, you will see it is initially set up with just Apple as the TARGET Word. To choose additional TARGET Words, navigate to the Activity Setup menu using the link at the top right of the Main Menu. Once in the settings menu, choose Expressive Labeling from the left side menu.
- To choose a TARGET Word from the list, tap once and a check mark will appear. You can select individual words either alphabetically or by Category.
- You can turn all words on with the button at the top of the alphabetical list.
- Or, you can turn on all words within a category using the “Toggle All” link that appears when you tap on a category.
- You can view the words you have selected for the activity, using the “Active” link at the bottom of the word list.
Expressive Labeling Settings
You can also choose how many times you want to repeat each of the target words using the Repetition Setting.
And, you can choose which commands you want the app to deliver.
If you turn off all the audio and text command, then you can deliver both the commands and the reinforcers yourself and just use the iPad to present the stimulus image.
Although this activity does not deliver reinforcers for each word, you can choose which reinforcers your student will see and hear when they finish the entire activity.